Monday, May 24, 2010

Capers & Lemon Juice are a Heavenly Combo and You Can't Beat Fresh Eggs!

Will did a great job grilling some tuna steaks tonight. I sliced them up and made a salad that was to die for.
 The recipe was from Martha Stewart Living magazine. It called for canned tuna, but there's no way it would have tasted like as incredible. Grilled is the way to go for sure.  It had a little more than 1 tblsp of olive oil, and that was it for fats in the dressing--three lemons juiced instead!.  The almonds were a great addition, but the capers were what made this for me.  I'm so glad I didn't try it last night without the capers!

I also made a blue potato salad based on a recipe from Epicurious.com.  I wish these were from the farm (not time for potatoes yet!) because they would have made this great recipe even better!  I didn't have all the variety of herbs called for, so I just used tons of dill instead. Never try dried dill when fresh is called for--it's nothing near the same.   I also added one hard boiled egg.  The rice vinegar was fabulous, and less than half a cup of light mayo for the dressing!

Kira had the tuna plain, Owen had a hot dog, but both kids also had a hard boiled egg too. The eggs were from Mighty Food Farm, so the yolks were super yellow!!


My thinking is that some day Owen will swap out the bad stuff for more of the good. A few years ago I never would have thought Kira would be eating fish like tuna and salmon!  They also had fresh snap peas on their plates.  Kids like peeling the strings off and popping out the peas, then crunching the pods.

We were wondering about what makes the yolks so yellow. I knew it was pure goodness, but wanted a better answer.  Here's what I found from Whistling Train Farm's Egg FAQ page:

Q: What makes egg yolks dark yellow, compared to the pale grocery store egg yolks?
Beta carotene, or xanthophyll—both are natural plant pigments. When hens are able to eat green plant material or yellow corn (factory farm hens are sometimes fed yellow dye to color the yolks), the beta carotene concentrates in the yolk making it dark, sometimes even orange. Eating red peppers makes yolks red, and some plants can make the yolks green or even black.
Q: Eggs from your farm have darker yolks than I am used to. Does a dark colored yolk mean the egg is rotten?
 Quite the contrary. Fresh eggs have darker colored yolks and whites than old eggs. The bright color of the egg yolk fades as the egg ages. A pale yellow yolk and watery white mean that the egg has been sitting in storage for several weeks or months.

2 comments:

  1. Recipe sounds amazing and I loved reading about the egg yolks....

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother suggests poaching the tuna in the fridge in olive oil and lemon juice. Might be a cool way to try it without even having to "cook" it!

    ReplyDelete

If you visit my blog, leave me a comment. If you cook anything because you've read the blog, I'd love to hear about it!