Sunday, May 9, 2010

Forget Brunch--Do Chinese!

This morning my family treated me to baked goodies from the bakery down on Main Street, cleverly called Crazy Russian Girl Bakery. Yummy scones, biscotti, and cinnamon buns. Will got himself a carrot cake cupcake. I had the best cookie from there a few weeks ago, aptly named "Better than Brad Pitt" cookie. Chocolately goodness. I can't wait to have a reason to buy a cake from there!

So we talked about doing the traditional Mother's Day Brunch thing, but I'm not that into breakfast really. It occurred to me that I could pick the restaurant without much protest from the kids--so I went for it and chose Chinese luncheon over in Troy.

The Plum Blossom right on NY 7 in Troy has always been a great place for good Chinese, in a restaurant with a beautiful decor. The owner carved all the wood himself and it's stunning.  We had tempura shrimp and veggies (the eggplant was my favorite), veggie potstickers which Owen loved, Hot and Sour Soup, and I had shrimp with vegetables.  Poor Kira didn't like anything despite being brave and taking tastes of lots of it. They made sesame noodles for her, but they were more peanut than sesame so she really just drank tea! We got her an egg and cheese at Dunkin Donuts after. She did enjoy the atmosphere though--we so seldom take them anywhere very fancy and she kept remarking how nice and quiet it was and how pretty the plates were.

We went to the big Walmart there to buy new hair clippers--because of course my husband wants his hair cut today--and a copy of Ironman on DVD.

We've been wanting to rent it (we're so behind on seeing anything the past few years!), but it's always out. What the heck for $13 when you know it's going to be good. I remember when it came out hearing it wasn't really okay for our kids to watch, but we've slackened our standards a bit... comic books are an interest I've fostered in the kids, and they loved Robert Downey Jr. in Sherlock Holmes. I always wonder if it's a bit warped that I don't mind the violence for them as much as the sexual innuendo. There's a great website that gives really good information for families about movies; I usually check there first. It's Common Sense Media--very thorough and nonpartisan.

 It's been a lovely day with lovely homemade gifts and well wishes spelled out in legos!


It's been a lovely day with lovely homemade gifts and well wishes spelled out in legos!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you visit my blog, leave me a comment. If you cook anything because you've read the blog, I'd love to hear about it!